My course studying art and architecture has led me to look at miniature models. Inspired primarily by Charles Matton, who created models of his own studios and friends’ studios, I decided to make a model of the college art studios. Being influenced by previous craftsmen, the complexity and dynamics of the room, as well as being a room my peers could all relate to, made this room an obvious choice.
My original plans were to just create the model out of cardboard and paper, however experimentation and ambition led to using more complex materials like foam board and steel, and time restraints were extended from a week to a few months of obsession. I have enjoyed making this model and throughout the building process I took photos to document my building methods.
The main structure
The main structure includes the walls, floor and fixed objects.
The first thing I had to do was to measure the sizes of the room and the angle of the corners of the room . Once I collected them I had to scale the sizes down. My chosen scale was 1/12th , traditional dolls’ house scale 1 foot equals 1 inch.
The base was made from wood which I cut with a jig saw, I sanded it and then painted the board grey to fit in with the floor of the art room. I had to give the wooden board two or three coats of paint to make sure there was an even coat.
The next part of the structure was the walls which were made out of plastic foam board which had to be cut into nine inch strips from large sheets.
The sizes of the walls were measured and scaled down. I then had to add 6 mm on to make a butt joint with the adjoining wall. Once the final size was calculated it was cut on a circular saw and sanded down.
Walls that had doors or windows in them had to be cut out using a Stanley knife and ruler. The edges were smoothed with sand paper to leave neat, clean edges.
The walls then had to be glued down to the base. Super glue and silicone were used in some places, and screws were needed to strengthen areas further.
The alcove area was a little more complex as I needed to put a curve in the wall. I made 1 inch pieces of wall which were taped aside each other so I could manoeuvre them into a curve, as well as silicone and glue I used P38 filler to fill in the gaps between the strips. Once this was set I could sand the wall smooth.
Shelving and small wall indentations were then glued on to the wall with super glue before masking the floor off and painting the wall white again, this painting took a few attempts to get an even coat especially over areas using silicone.
The last part would be to paint the outside a woody-brown which was the same as the timber clad outside wall.
To create the chairs I had to create the metal frame out of steel welding wire. I cut the desired sizes with wire cutters.
The first component to be made was the wire legs which were made by bending the wire in a bending fixture. I put two obtuse angles in to a piece of wire on the same plane. I made two of these for one chair.
I sawed down the centre to take out a piece between the shafts. I then sanded the edges and the top corners of the chair are rounded.