Tuesday 15 May 2012

Problem solving

Today I have had a tutorial review which has revealed I am borderline Merritt distinction and has given me thoughts and ideas to improve my work one of them is to document more thoroughly the process of problem solving that I do throughout my project.

These problems were not as noticeable when I was making my smaller scale models but amplifying the scale must of amplified the problems.


The first problem: the white van

Part of the van goes across two panels and then off on to the floor thus running out of canvas to put it on. This I would like to keep the van in the scene as it is a nice contrast to the cart in the older view.

Solution 1: use the floor

Taking inspiration from trompe l'oeil a French initiated movement related to works with visual illusions. I can use card or even parcel paper cut out into a shape that will fill in the missing piece of the van.

This would solve the problem of the image being broken up however it would be visible from both the new and old views.

Solution 2: change the composition

I could for the sake of making it look ok I could change where the van is in the picture to put it into a less difficult part of the scene. This idea is more appealing to me as it does not make it complicated or affect the other view.

Solution 3: remove it

The easiest solution to this would be to remove the van. This is not my preferred method as it removes the contrast of the van and cart in the new and old scenes.

I am currently favouring the second solution as it fulfills both including the van as well as not interfering with the other scene.

Problem 2: proportion and alignment across the board

When drawing the same scene across three different boards the alignment can skew and bend from one edge of the image to the other.

Solution: Composition Alignment Tool












I have used a straight edge close to my eyes to keep the buildings and other objects in line. So far this method has been very effective at solving the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment